How Often Should You Change Your Oil?
It’s no secret that regular oil changes are essential to maintaining your luxury vehicle’s health. Previously, it was recommended to have your oil changed every 3,000 miles, however, thanks to advances in engine technology and oil, that interval has extended. These days, vehicles can go between 7,500 and 10,000 miles between oil changes. With that said, it’s always good to refer to your vehicle’s owner’s manual for specific instructions about how often you should change our oil.
What are the Oil Change Frequency Guidelines?
Keep in mind that 7,000-10,000 miles is only a guideline, and certain vehicles will need more frequent oil changes. If you noticed that any of the below circumstances apply to you, get in touch with the service center at Land Rover Princeton near South Brunswick to see when you should bring your vehicle in:
- Commercial use
- Heavy towing
What Happens if You Don’t Change Your Oil?
Your car’s engine needs and relies on fresh, clean oil to operate properly and efficiently. Oil lubricates the moving parts to prevent friction and overheating. The oil will also collect the debris as it moves through the engine and carries it to the oil filter. At some point, the filter and the oil itself will get riddled with contaminants and needs to get replaced. Neglecting the oil could lead to negative changes that will become noticeable, such as:
- Check engine and/or oil change lights are illuminated
- Knocking sound coming from the engine
- Dark and dirty oil
- Smoke emitting from the exhaust pipe
- Engine overheating
Additional Oil Change Tips
Before stopping by our Mount Laurel-area service center near, refer to the handy oil change facts listed below:
- Even if you don’t drive often, an oil change is still needed at least twice a year since oil breaks down over time, even when a car isn’t being used.
- During your oil change, be sure to replace the oil filter as well. The parts department at Land Rover Princeton offers an inventory of oil filters if you choose to do an at-home DIY oil change.
- Wondering whether to use synthetic vs. conventional oil? Refer to your vehicle’s owner’s manual. Synthetic oil can cost more, but some vehicles require it.
When to Check the Oil Level?
It’s recommended to check the oil level at least once a month to catch any leaks in the oil system. Remember that without oil, your vehicle can get damaged. While inspecting for leaks, check for any changes to the oil’s color and any metal particles in the oil. All of these are signs of serious issues. If you notice any of these issues or your oil is low, schedule a service appointment right from home as soon as possible.
Have Your Oil Changed in Princeton!
When you visit our Hopewell-area service center, you can expect competitive prices and service coupons for the majority of our most popular maintenance and repair tasks. Contact us with any questions today! Want to know how to check brake fluid? Or want more service tips?